The Big Green Box requires the shipment of all batteries pursuant to DOT-SP 16474, including the shipment of Lithium Ion, and Lithium Metal batteries, which follow these guidelines. The following summarizes the applicable shipping regulations and requirements:
- Insulation: Lithium Ion and Lithium Metal batteries must be insulated. Refer to proper insulation instructions above.
- Small Cells Only: Lithium Ion batteries must have a rated capacity lower than 300 watt-hours per battery. Lithium Metal batteries must contain less than 25 grams of lithium content per battery.
- Low production run and prototype batteries. Unless you work for a battery manufacturer or research laboratory, you probably don't have to worry about this category. Low production run and prototype batteries generally have not been put through the same rigorous testing as batteries sold to consumers, and therefore, must be transported in specialized packaging.
- Size and Container Weight Guidelines: For those with batteries larger than common consumer type batteries described above may use our Lithium Battery Size Guidelines to determine whether lithium batteries may ship in the Big Green Box.
Marking: The Big Green Box provides all markings outlined below to meet D.O.T. SP-16474 shipping requirements.
Each package must be durably marked:
- “Used Batteries for Recycling or Disposal: May Contain Lithium (ion and/or metal) and Nonspillable Batteries. FOR HIGHWAY OR RAIL FREIGHT ONLY- FORBIDDEN FOR TRANSPORTATION BY VESSEL OR AIRCRAFT. This is printed on top of every Big Green Box.
- With an emergency response telephone number, accessible 24 hours per day in case of damage to the packaging or contents. This is printed on the top of every Big Green Box, 1-800-424-9300.
- Must display Special Permit number, “DOT-SP 16474”. The permit number is printed on the top of every Big Green Box.